Our students are adults with learning disabilities who are referred through Adult Services and come to Heaton Fold to undertake a range of work related tasks and activities in a safe and supportive environment to enhance their skills, qualifications and employment prospects.
Students attend on weekdays only and learn to carry out simple practical tasks across the garden centre site.
Click on the sections below to find out more
Supported by staff our students have cleared the ground, rebuilt the shrub beds and laid out the products for sale.
- Be independent travellers as no transport is provided.
- Live within the Borough.
- Be referred through Adult Services.
Each student has an individual plan but skills might include:
- Reliability (coming every day as agreed)
- Timekeeping (arriving and departing on time)
- Effort (undertaking physical and mental tasks)
- Application (maintaining a task until completed)
- Co-operation (working with others as a team or in a group)
- Socialisation (mixing with other people whilst working or resting)
- Integration (mixing with and supplying a service to members of the public)
- Instruction (completing a set task as requested and in an appropriate manner)
Here are just some of the activities our students participate in:
- Keeping the site tidy and dealing with rubbish and recycling
- Helping customers carry goods to their cars
- Going out on the van with staff to deliver customer orders
- Making up Barrier Planters for use in the community
- Pricing and labelling plants and displaying plants for sale
- Making a compost mixture and filling pots and trays
- Pricking out plants into pots and potting bulbs
Students will receive the permitted work earning allowance. Current rates are:
- Half day: £1.55
- Full day: £3.10